The incredible breadth of knowledge, expertise and vision represented in this list of individuals will be an invaluable asset to our organization as we work to spread the word about the importance of supporting local shelters and rescues, and develop new and exciting programs, like our Shelter Assistance Grants Program, to help get pet shelters across the country the help they so desperately need.
In selecting our Advisory Board members, we looked for individuals who would collectively offer HSSP a diverse perspective on shelter pet welfare at the local level. We settled on a combination of shelter professionals, animal control experts, seasoned dog trainers, veterinarians, educators and fundraising gurus with plenty of practical expertise.
Without further ado, we are proud to announce The Humane Society for Shelter Pets 2012-2013 Advisory Board:
- Anne Doyle Anderson — Anne Doyle Anderson is a long-time rescue worker and current director of the St. Francis Rescue, in Nacogdoches, Texas, a private, no-kill rescue organization dedicated to reducing the number of abandoned or mistreated pit bulls and American bulldogs.
- Jennifer Karschner — Jennifer Karschner works for the County Police in Montgomery County, Maryland. Jennifer also teaches at UVA and is a former instructor for the Humane Society of the United States.
- Christopher Hawkins-Long — Christopher Hawkins-Long is the Executive Director of ART, an arts education non-profit in Chicago, Illinois, and is an expert in grant writing and fundraising.
- Dr. Wendy Blount, DVM — Based in Nacogdoches and Lufkin, Texas, Dr. Blount sees patients at several rural clinics throughout the area while working with the City of Nacogdoches Animal Shelter and the Humane Society of Nacogdoches County to operate a low cost spay-neuter clinic.
- Dr. Melinda Mayfield, DVM — Along with her work as a veterinarian at the Animal Care Center in Columbus, Kansas, Dr. Mayfield runs All Gods Creatures Rescue (AGCR), an all breed animal rescue in Southern Kansas.
- Judy Reisman — Judy Reisman is founder of Guanecaste Province Animal Welfare Foundation (G-PAW) in Costa Rica. Judy is a professional photographer and animal welfare advocate who established G-PAW in 2006 to bring low-cost and free spay/neuter clinics to low-income rural communities in northwest Costa Rica, and help educate the local people about responsible pet ownership.
- Robin McFarlane — National K9 School for Dog Trainers graduate Robin McFarlane is owner and training director of That’s My Dog!, Inc. in Dubuque, Iowa. In early 2011 Robin was awarded a Certificate of Appreciation for Patriotic Civilian Service by the Department of the Army for her assistance with military working dogs in North Afghanistan.
- Larry Hostetler — Larry Hostetler is the executive director of the Animal Shelter Society of Muskingum County, Ohio.
- Larry Kacmarcik — Larry Kacmarcik runs the Blue Moon Cat Shelter in Witter, Arkansas, the largest no-kill in the state. Blue Moon takes in cats and kittens from county facilities around the state and the region, and works to find them loving, forever homes.
- Shannon Nachajko — Shannon is the Coordinator at Catahoula Rescue Inc. New England. Along with her background in dog rescue, Shannon has also worked extensively with equine rescue groups and is an expert in science education and experiential learning.
- Ann Linton — Ann is a volunteer at Paws and Claws Pet Rescue in Mayflower, Arkansas. Paws and Claws Rescue is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization made up of a small group of people who devote and dedicate their love, time, and personal resources 7 days a week, 365 days per year to care for homeless, abused, and abandoned animals.